If you are searching for how to apply for a Canada study permit and acquire it, then this guide is for you. A good knowledge of languages or having to acquire a better higher educational degree abroad can prove really exciting and note-worthy.
As a result of Covid-19, traveling to some countries has become so hard and when it comes down to studying in Canada as an international student, the case became even more impracticable, and with the government having to close its borders in March 2020, the educational system in Canada had to re-form itself, thus leveraging on online resources in carrying out preparatory courses for international students.
Presently, due to the immediate action by the government in curbing the effect of the pandemic, and its advanced vaccination practices, the Canadian borders have been made open again to accommodate international students.
What is a Canada Study Permit?
A Canada study permit is basically a document issued by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows international students to enroll to study at any designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.
So, as an international student looking to study in Canada, you’ll definitely need a study permit!
It’s also very important to note that – a Canada study permit is not a visa, and as so, will not guarantee your access to Canada. You may also be required to be issued a Canada Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or visitation via alongside your study permit to be granted access to study in Canada.
Who Can Apply for a Canada Study Permit?
You will be allowed a Canada study permit if you meet the following basic requirements:
- Be enrolled at a Canadian designated learning institution (DLI) with an official Covid-19 readiness plan.
- Proof that you’re financially capable of catering for your:
- Tuition fees
- Daily living expenses for both you and any other family member accompanying you to Canada (if applicable)
- Return tickets for both you and any other family member accompanying you to Canada (if applicable)
- You must be a recognized law abiding citizen of your country, with no criminal record associated with your name. You will also need to provide a police clearance certificate as proof (if required)
- Your statement of current health condition which will need you getting a medical examination done with an accredited medical institution (if required)
- Proof of exit back to your home country on completion of your study program, which is to be submitted to your Canada immigration officer
- Two (2) passport-sized photos of yourself
How to Apply for a Canada Study Permit – Canada Study Permit Application Process
- First getting a letter confirming your admission from the designated learning institution (DLI)
- The next step involves you applying online for your Canada study permit, or simply downloading the application package for an offline application
- Payment of the Canada study permit application fee and carefully keeping your receipt of payment
- Taking a medical examination from an accredited panel physician in your home country
- Getting feedback on your application
- Canada also offers a Student Direct Stream program for international students in certain countries to get their study permit granted faster.
Applicants of Canada study permit with legal residency in one of these countries qualify for this Canada Student Direct Stream program:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- the Philippines
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
Required Documents to Apply for Canada Study Visa Permit
The following list of documents will be needed when applying for a Canada study permit:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial status
- Acceptance letter from the designated learning institution (DLI)
You may also be required to provide the following:
- Letter of elucidation
- Certificatd’acceptation du Québec (CAQ)
- A custodian declaration for minors only
How to Apply for a Canada Student Visa
As a foreign student looking to study in the lovely country of Canada, application for a study permit is best done online, irrespective of whether or not you are in or outside of Canada.
Application can also be done offline (or on paper), specifically for applicants with a form of disability, or if there’s an issue when applying online.
It’s also important to note that the entire Canada study permit application process can take up to 90 days to complete, so it’s always best to submit your application as soon as you get a letter of acceptance that validates your admission to your college or university.