Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the James McCune Smith Scholarships at the University of Glasgow for the 2023/24 academic session. The scholarship fund black UK-domiciled students to undertake PhD research at the University in any research area.
The James Mccune Smith PhD Scholarships also provide enhanced experience through external mentors, placements, leadership training, community-building activities, and networking opportunities. There are up to 10 scholarship opportunities available. The scholarship covers a stipend (est £18,022 for 2023 entry) and fees for up to four years.
The James McCune Smith Scholarships Brief Description
- Scholarship Sponsor(s): University of Glasgow, UK
- Scholarship Type: Fully Funded
- Host Institution(s): University of Glasgow, UK
- Scholarship Worth: Not specified
- Number of Awards: Several
- Study Level: Postgraduate (PhD)
- Nationality: Not specified
James Mccune Smith Scholarship 2023/2024 Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for the James Mccune Smith PhD Scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a UK-domiciled Black African, Black Caribbean, Black Other, Mixed White, and Black Caribbean, Mixed
- White and Black African, or other mixed backgrounds (to include Black African, Black Caribbean, or Black Other).
- Must have obtained relevant bachelor and master’s degrees from a reputable institution of higher learning.
- Must demonstrate excellent academic and research abilities.
James McCune Smith Scholarships Application Procedures
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the James McCune Smith PhD Scholarships at the University of Glasgow 2023 are to follow the steps outlined (below):
- Look at the research interests of staff at the University of Glasgow so that you can suggest a research area and a supervisor.
- Submit a completed Expression of Interest form
- Follow the application process, beginning with contacting potential supervisors. When contacting a potential supervisor, be sure to state that you wish to apply for a James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of the options for funding. The topic of research for a James McCune Smith Scholarship is decided by the applicant in conjunction with their potential supervisor.
- Submit your personal statement via the Scholarship Portal. The personal information should be up to 500 words on your research interest and why you wish to be a James McCune Smith Scholar.
- Submit an application on the University’s MyCampus system. Please name the James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of the funding options under Finance in the online complete application.
Click here to start your free application
Application Deadline: 31st January 2023