Here, we are going to outline the application for the Rhodes Global Scholarships on three web pages – what the Scholarship is, who can apply and how the application process works
With 100 Rhodes Scholarships available per year for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford, this page will help you to make sure that you are applying for the most appropriate Rhodes Scholarship.
Until recently, the Rhodes Scholarships have only been awarded in 20 constituencies (representing over 60 different countries). Now the Rhodes Scholarships are fully global: two new Global Scholarships allow eligible candidates from the rest of the world to apply (subject to nomination).
Rhodes Global Scholarships 2023 Brief Description
- Scholarship Sponsor(s): Rhodes Trust.
- Scholarship Type: Fully Funded Scholarships.
- Host Institution(s): University of Oxford, UK.
- Scholarship Worth: Fees + £15,900 per annum stipend
- Number of Awards: 100 scholarships per year.
- Study Level: Postgraduate
- Nationality: Global eligibility.
The Rhodes Scholarship 2023
The Rhodes Scholarship is the oldest (first awarded in 1902) and perhaps most prestigious international scholarship programme, enabling outstanding young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford.
Rhodes Global Scholarship is looking for outstanding young leaders who are motivated to engage with global challenges and promote international understanding and peace. There is also Rhodes trust global scholarships for international students to study at the University of Oxford, UK.
Rhodes Global Scholarships 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Rhodes Selection Committees are looking for young people of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service.
The four criteria which governed the selection of Rhodes Scholarship applicants in 1902 are still the guiding criteria for the selection of Rhodes Scholars:
- Literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- Energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness, and fellowship
- The moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
Rhodes Trust Scholarships Value/Cover
The Rhodes Scholarship is for two years in the first instance. The Rhodes Scholarship covers Oxford University (and College) fees as well as provides an annual stipend. For the 2022/23 academic year, the stipend will be £15,900 per annum (£1,325 per month) from which Scholars pay all living expenses, including accommodation. Please note – this is not sufficient to cover partners or dependants.
Following the scholarship selection, the Rhodes Trust will cover the fee required to apply to study at the University of Oxford. The Trust will cover the fee for a Tier 4 study visa and the associated International Health Surcharge (IHS), which enables international students to access the UK’s National Health Service. The Rhodes Trust will cover two economy class flights – to and from the UK – for the beginning and end of studies in Oxford.
The Rhodes Scholarships Eligible Country/Region
- East Africa
- Global (Any other country/region)
- Hong Kong SAR
- Jamaica & The Commonwealth Caribbean
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- Southern Africa (inc. South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, and eSwatini)
- Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine (SJLP)
- United Arab Emirates
- United States
- West Africa
Rhodes scholarships are offered in over 22 designated Rhodes constituencies, as well as their Global Rhodes Scholarships.
Rhodes Scholarship Application Procedures
How-to-Apply: Applications for the Rhodes Scholarship consist of multiple stages. Below are 7 steps to guide you through the process.
Choice of Oxford Course
Preparing a personal statement
Checking and Gathering Documents
Social Media Engagement
Click Here to start your Rhodes Global Scholarship application.
NOTE: You must submit your application online, with all supporting documents, by 23:59 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), 2 August 2022.