The University of Alberta Graduate Entrance Scholarship replaces the Master’s Entrance Scholarship from the previous year. You can now apply to be part of the 2022 competition.
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide funding and support to newly admitted graduate students that were highly ranked in their department at admission.
Graduate Entrance Scholarship University of Alberta Nomination Procedures
There is no application form; eligible students are considered on the recommendation of the admitting department. Students cannot apply for this scholarship.
The department completes and submits the nomination package to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) by the nomination deadline via GSMS. The FGSR reviews the nominations for eligibility and completeness and forwards them to the Graduate Scholarship Committee for adjudication.
University of Alberta Graduate Entrance Scholarship Value
Stipend Value: $17,500 Master’s; $21,000 Doctoral
Note: Domestic students will receive an additional $5,800, international students will receive an additional $10,000 to help cover fees.
2022 University of Alberta Graduate Entrance Scholarship Eligibility
- The following admission terms are eligible: January 2021, May 2021, July 2021, and September 2021
- Must be a newly admitted student in one of the above terms in a master’s or doctoral program (cost-recovery programs not eligible)
- Open to domestic and international students
- Open to course-based or thesis students
- Must have an Admission GPA of 3.7 or higher
- Must be full-time registered during the tenure of the award
Graduate Entrance Scholarship Application Requirements
Each document below is mandatory and must be submitted as separate uploads in the GSMS system.
- Department Nomination Letter (maximum 1-page pdf on letterhead)
- Student’s CV (1 pdf)
- Two (2) Letters of Reference (2 pdfs): Each letter of reference must be uploaded separately. Departments are welcome to use the letters of reference from the student’s admission application. FGSR Award Services will no longer be pulling these letters from the system.
- All Post-Secondary Transcripts (1-2 pdfs): Upload as one (1) pdf. Transcripts must be organized from most recent to least recent. If the file size is too large to upload, departments can split the transcripts into two (2) pdfs.
Departments must submit their nominations to FGSR via the GSMS Awards Portal. Nominations for each graduate program must be uploaded and submitted in the appropriate award competition pool in the GSMS Awards portal i.e doctoral nomination must be submitted under the UA Doctoral Entrance Scholarship
The deadline for Departments to submit nominations via GSMS Awards Portal is Tuesday, May 25, 2022, by 4:00 PM